Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Camp mail to Ben - Fairyland houses.


This is a random envelope replacing one that was a repeat. My grandkids go to a Y-camp in Indiana and if you would like your camper to get mail, you drop it off when you drop your camper off. This is 8-yr old Ben's first year - so I did 5 envelopes for him. I decided to get out all my old random markers and see how many were dried up. I actually think this one is fun. Out of all 5 - 2 are so pitiful I'm not going to post them. 

My dad ran summer camps and I will not go down that particular memory lane - even though it's chock full of crazy stories. I'll just mention that I loved spending time in the woods as a family member in the staff section. I would have had no interest in sleeping in a tent - unless there were no bugs. 

One of my favorite things to find in the forest was moss. I remember building some little *fairy communities.* More recently - when I first started seeing elaborate fairy houses and communities on IG, I was hoping I could get my grandkids interested in building some. Their mom (my daughter) said, "No!" The way she said it made me want to ask *why* - but when I am at her house, I defer to her wishes without asking *why* and set a good example for the kids. I can always move on to other exciting activities that are only slightly out of bounds. They mostly involve ways of turning outdoor sports into games that are played somewhat safely indoors....but I digress.

Below is the link to some very nice fairy houses. They intrigue me - but not to the point that I am actually going to make any.


These two might be the same ones - maybe not - I was trying to show the scale.




This one is built around a wine bottle - to give you an idea of scale.
She has a number of videos that show how they are built - and many are full houses, not just doorways tucked into the base of trees.


Mary in the Fairyland - is in Vancouver BC - which caught my eye - since BC is the *fairyland* where my son, Skip, has been living since 2020. I visited once -- and was smitten with the area.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment