Saturday, July 13, 2024

May to Jean from Kate - bike trails


This nice design is from Kate. Those stamps really pop on the kraft paper. I'm wondering why Kate used 4. I think the space that 4 take up is more pleasing than 3 would have been - so maybe it was an aesthetic choice. 

And because I have mixed up my stacks of mail - here is June from Kate - even though the rest of the June envelopes won't show up. for a while.




I was going to put this add-on with a post that featured mail to or from Leslie - because I know she's into biking - but if I start jumping around, it will only add to the chaos that has been plaguing me.

Maybe I'm the last person to be aware of this - the building of a bike trail from coast to coast. I have been aware that Iowa was one of the early states that turned some stretches of land that are no longer used for railroads into bike trails. I was not aware that there is a program to create the coast to coast bike trail. It will go through Iowa. While I am not a biker - it makes me happy that bike trails are getting a lot of support. 

https://www.railstotrails.org is the main website with info on bike trails in every state.

Here is the link to the specific trail from DC to the west coast. I'm not sure why it doesn't go all the way to the actual edge of the east coast. I've actually flown into DC and ridden from there to the Atlantic Ocean and from what I recall, it did not seem like a bike friendly chunk of the US. But, one would think they could find some bike-friendly trails that went south of DC. 

Congrats to Pennsylvania - looks like they have done the best to get their stretch completed. And poor Wyoming -- they have some tiny little chunks of 2 or 3 miles - or 6 miles --- I can't imagine how they will ever get a bike trail to span their state. The interactive map is fun because you can zoom in to specific trails.


There is a really nice chunk of trail north of Des Moines.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment