Tuesday, February 25, 2020

From Virginia to Leslie - Vintage 1993

This envelope brings up happy memories for me even though it is one from Leslie's personal stash.

Side comment: Leslie used to live on Maryland Pike - it is not her current address which is why she said it was OK to not block it out. Maryland Pike is not too far from where I live. I always thought Pike was an interesting name for a street in the middle of Des Moines. I wonder if there are many pikes in other cities and towns. To me a pike is short for turnpike.

The return address - from Virginia - brings back memories of my earliest days of envelope exchanging. There was a group online called CyberScribes. They are still online, but not nearly as active as they once were.

My first exchanges would have been in the later 90s. I have several gorgeous envelopes from Virginia, who has gone to that great scriptorium in the sky. Several years ago, I was going to visit Virginia and Wilma Hardenberg, another very talented calligrapher. They both lived in Missoula and I was on a trip visiting relatives in Billings and Lewistown. Sadly, the winter came early to Montana and it was not safe to drive through the mountains, so I headed home. Note to people who plan to visit Montana: the natives warned me that winter can hit any time after Labor Day and any time before Memorial Day. And I believe they have even had blizzards on those two weekends - up in the mountains.

I'm looking forward to getting out some nibs and ink - one of these days - and do a search for flourishing so that this one pops up.

No comments:

Post a Comment