Saturday, September 21, 2019

Oct 2018 PTEX from Rachael T (+my rip-off)


Rachael sent an envelope in the Oct 2017 exchange that caught my attention and tripped my plagiaristic tendencies.  Then she disappeared from the exchanges for several months. When she popped up for the Oct 2018 exchange I emailed her and told her how much I had loved her 2017 Oct envelope and how I would be stealing it. She said something like, "Fine with me - but now the pressure is on to do another stealworthy design." Those were not her exact words - but I knew she'd have a tough time topping 2017.

She certainly did. The minute it arrived, I started pondering ways to morph it into something quite different. This is what I ended up with. Yes, those look a lot like Mary Engelbreit flowers. I did not want to do skulls and needed a simple geometric shape. The main thing I needed to do was figure out whether or not it was going to be fun to color in all the background with gouache and a paintbrush. It was. It's on my list of things I will do when I actually get caught up.

Then, I botched the address. I forgot to pull hers out for reference. If I had done that, I would have realized that it did not need that pink line. I should have done a fine black line like she did.

On top of that - I could not find a decent stamp. So, I ended up using one of my Italian stamps.

A better photo of Rachael's.



No comments:

Post a Comment