Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sept from Kate - socks


This is a lovely (steal worthy) idea - to put a little caption under the stamps. I have no idea how hard it would be to come up with captions. This caption is really nice with the stamps. I had to look it up - and it is by Steven Sondheim from Sweeney Todd. 

*** 

If it sounded strange that two kids from a fairly normal/average/generic family would both feel like they had not ended up with their true parents - maybe it will help to give an illustration.

Apologies to anyone who remembers that I have told this story before. Hopefully this is only the second time. <pause> A quick search indicates that I reduced it to a single sentence in January of 2022 - so maybe I have not told the full story. 

When I was 4 or 5 my mom made me a dress with a red and navy plaid skirt and navy top. I had a pair of double strap Mary Janes that were dark red. She bought navy blue anklets for me to wear with the dress. Even though I could see the red and blue in the plaid - the solid blue socks with the red shoes looked horrific to me. I'm not sure how intense my tantrums were - and even though my mom and I used to talk (and laugh) about the whole debacle - she did understand that it was clearly foreshadowing of my artistic leanings.

At the time it seemed impossible that I was related to someone who would put navy blue socks with red shoes. I am curious if any readers had similar experiences when they were youngsters. 

Happily, my mom and I mended the fences and she was a good comrade during my child rearing years because she could appreciate that I had not been nearly as difficult as the kids I hatched. I had one that was a biter -- and he bit her one time -- so that made me look pretty civilized.

2 comments:

  1. Love the caption idea...however the challenge of finding an appropriate one would be way too stressful. Your story is delightful...I first got caught up with "red Mary Jan'es". I don't recall every seeing Mary Jane's in anything other than black patent leather...it was my very favorite "smell" as child.. Opening the box of a new pair of MJ's was intoxicating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with your childhood Jean. I grew up on the mission field, where my mother cut our hair and made many of our clothes, which was ok there, but upon returning to the USA and going into 10th grade, it was pretty embarrassing to have outfits and a haircut that matched my siblings, two being 4 years younger, one being 8 years younger and the last being 14 years younger. None of us wanted to hurt her feelings, but we all avoid any haircuts to this day.

    ReplyDelete