Monday, March 18, 2019

Jan Neuland - to Janet -Ab-Ex

When I ran out of the Greetings stamps and had warmed up with my pseudo-neuland - I turned to the Abstract Expressionist stamps.

My first attempt (pictured below) was so bad, I almost threw it away - but, I think it is helpful to see how something really bad can help with the design decisions. It just looks tortured.

Once I came up with the concept of the top one I was fine with the first name and last name. But, I had not given any thought about the left border. If I had it to do over, I would think of something different for the left border.

It is painful to show the first attempt. I might take it off in a few days - only my most devoted readers deserve to see it. I even pondered putting up a blog just for atrocities. I see a lot of stuff that makes my eyeballs bleed - and have thought about putting those images on their own blog. But, for now, I don't have time.

Here it is:
I hope nobody tosses their cookies.

OK, listen up. I am warning you that there are tattoos in this video. I know some people abhor tattoos. If you can get past the tattoos, there are several other layers of lettering that are very interesting. So many of the traditional calligraphers and people in general have been wringing their hands that calligraphy is a lost art. This video is just a tiny glimpse into a whole world where calligraphy is alive and well and thriving. I've never doubted for a minute that there was anything *lost* about making letters. Sure - electronics offered a bit of distraction for a while - but the urge to do things by hand is not going anywhere. This video is under 2 minutes - but it shows how wildly exciting things are - and how it is not dangerous for people to bust out of the traditional format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7CeSncM710


If you want to go to the main page and find a gazillion more videos - you can start here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7CeSncM710

No comments:

Post a Comment