Sunday, March 3, 2019

Bonus Post - only if you have time to kill

Skip this unless you have time to kill.
Regular daily post is right below.

The past couple weeks have been full of fun conversations and emails with a variety of people. I have some follow up comments from some people and observations.

1
Rehj left a comment on the post where I celebrated 4,000 posts. She corrected my math. She asked if I was testing to see if anyone was paying attention. Nope. I just know myself well enough to know that I make a lot of very simple math mistakes. And I was correct. She also mentioned that she is still too busy to join the exchange for now - but says hi -- so *Hi, Rehj* from all your pen pals.

2
The BigHelpfulBrother left a comment on the same post telling us that he was sorry to point out that 9 divided by any number will yield a big long string of the same number. It's one of those mathic-magical tricks that keeps me clueless. I love math - but am not on top of it. I do not know why he was sorry to point it out. I think what he meant to say was that he was sorry I'm so clueless.

3
More than a couple people had private comments about hesitating to call a studio a studio - since that implies you consider yourself an artist. Trust me -- no matter where anyone is on the curve - in any art (music, theater, applied art, crafts, baking, sports, etc) we are all on a curve and it doesn't matter which words you use. The ornery people who want to judge others and demean anyone who wants to say, *I am an artist* - are sad little people and we should be very polite to them but let their comments go in one ear and out the other. Everyone is gifted in some ways and not-gifted in others.

Below, I have copied some paragraphs from a woman whose art form is cookies. That's right a cookie artist. I love her thoughts on this subject. She explains that it is the connections we have that are meaningful. Sure - we aren't all rock stars. But that's the way bell curves are designed. We all have to fit and some of us are going to be stuck in the middle. It's probably fine that we are because it is easier to meet each other. If you are way out on the tip - it might be harder to meet up with any of your peers.

So - here is the cookie artist's post:


I kind of massively love this cookie community. I'm just a little bit all the way obsessed. I love the way you look out for each other. I love the way you innovate. I love the way you SHARE. But my very favoritest part of all...okay...I have two favorites. I love that there is always SOMEONE SOMEWHERE that is awake. No matter the time or day...there is someone you can reach out to.

When I lived in South Korea....it was a pretty big deal to me to be able to connect with other living people that also liked to eat sugar and play with their food and really really really didn't know how to make it through an entire grocery shopping trip without a colossal meltdown of epic proportions as well. You know...basic every day stuff.


And my other very favoritest thing of all is how being part of this community makes me feel like a renaissance artist in Italy. Think about it. Those amazing architects and philosophers and artists all hanging around at the Medici house...eating left over pizza and talking about their newest projects and ideas and I bet Botticelli was like "Hey I've got this great idea - check it out!"

And DaVinci was all, "Ohhhhh!!!! That's so cool! You know what you should do...."

And Botticelli was like, "YESSSSS!" and then he threw popcorn at DaVinci...because they are still boys after all. And then the art was even more amazing because they were friends and they built on the ideas of each other.

Because I do not for one second believe that the amazing growth of the arts and craftsmanship during the renaissance happened as a result of competition between those incredibly talented individuals.

I LOVE when an idea gets passed UPWARD, OUTWARD, SIDEWAYS. I love when a cookie or design sparks new joy. When someone sees a cookie and takes it a step further. Because it HELPS ME to take my next designs, my next idea or project, further in a way I couldn't have done myself.

end of cookie artist (https://www.lilaloa.com/)

I love my connection with all y'all.
I wish I had time to write personal notes to everyone who exchanges.
Maybe someday I will.
For now - thanks for everyone who participates and gives me all kinds of ideas to post and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment