Monday, August 17, 2020

Simon Garfield and JeanR


This is a real time post - written on Sunday (yesterday) - because I found something I wanted to share and obviously I need to post an image. So, I quickly photographed one of my August exchange envelopes. It is from JeanR and of course, I love anything done with those Bister inks - so I loved the envelope. 

Then I opened it -- and Oh, WOW. I love the flowers - and more pretty lettering inside.



Here's the part about Simon Garfield.
I have multiple little stacks and folders full of handwritten notes to myself. I've been typing them into *the cloud* so that they are somewhere other than in piles and files. One pile included a list of a dozen books and when I got to this one - Mauve: How one man invented a color and change the world. I stopped to Google it and see if it was still available. It is. So, I checked to see if my library has a copy. They do not - but HOLY COW -- look at the other books that Simon Garfield has written. Now I have to Google him -- he must be wildly interesting, eh?

To the letter: a celebration of the lost art of letter writing

On the map: a mind-expanding exploration of the way the world looks

Just my type: a book about fonts

The error world: an affair with stamps

Timekeepers

In miniature: how small things illuminate the world

****
I was surprised he did not have a clever subtitle for the timekeeper book.
Also, right below that list was another book that looks interesting:

The secret lives of color - by Kassia St. Clair

That one reminded me of a book I had many years ago that had 8 or 10 colored cards. People were asked to put them in the order of favorite to least favorite - and then the book would give an opinion about your personality or state of mind. Now I have to go look for that book. It was a little silly. If you liked black, it would suggest that you were unhappy or depressed about something. My artist friends (especially the print makers) agreed that a love of black is not alarming. 

*****
Holy cow again.
Simon has lots more books.


Tomorrow I will add info about the color / frame of mind test.
I found it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment