Sunday, January 20, 2019

Aug 2018 PTEX to CathyO - Pinterest border

Once again - I was drawn to copying borders off Pinterest. I feel like I'm doing the AA thing where you stand up and admit what you have done. Then I think you have to admit you are powerless. I think in the case of Pinterest border copying - I can just stop doing it and not go through the 12 step program.

On the other hand - I have written a book - Obsessive Calligraphy Disorder and it has a 10 step program for managing the situation. I really need to revise it and re-publish it. Note to self: get that done.

It does not mention Pinterest copying - it's more about spelling problems. We all know that my interest in proper spelling is dwindling. Plus - there is so much *text-speak* that I'm thinking that the concept of proper spelling may truly be headed for extinction (along with our species). It sorta makes up for all the things that have gone wrong in the past 2000 years. And I do not expect a single person to agree with me. I'm just saying that the issue of spelling was torture from the time I learned to read and write and has been a ghastly ordeal for over 6 decades. And I am not exaggerating. It's an issue of the highest order. Private commiseration is welcome.

****
WARNING:
The rest of this post is a caffeine induce rant that is a complete waste of time if you have things you should be doing. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you. Just stop now - and get on with your day. Or, if you have too many hours to fill - you can read it and at the end, say to yourself - Oh, good grief. At least I'm not like that. I assure you, at least half the time I am surfing and reading blogs or even IG posts - I come away feeling grateful that I do not inhabit some of the heads that are babbling on the internet.
The number of people who burn out on blogging is quite high. I do not know why. And now I am wondering - what is the longest running blog on the internet?

****
I wrote this at least three months ago. As I have been reviewing posts that will be popping up shortly, I was surprised to see what I had written considering what has gone on in the past three months. First, I figured out the app on my phone that allows me to download books and read them. This has turned my world upside down. I now kill way too much time reading. Plus, I can find people who are way-more educated about things that are just randomly popping up in my head. So - the latest book that validates everything I have been observing and thinking since I was a kid is: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Oh.My.Gosh.  I was right. We are animals. Babysitting (as a teenager) and then observing my own feral offspring (and grand-offspring) - I have been thinking since 1965 - those are animals. I was right.  And not that many adults impressed me as being significantly improved in a variety of ways.

And then all the things that really annoyed me because I thought that *people-just-make-that-stuff-up* is actually fiction and they did just make it up. My intuition was right all along. Of course, there's nothing we can do about it now. But, it has given me such peace of mind to know that my intuition was correct. Or - I might be looney and Yuval is looney in the same direction. I should probably send him an envelope and a thank you.

One of the things he says is still a complete mystery is - why has the male gender had such an *upper hand* and seems to maintain it. Here is where I really do want to have a conversation with him. As a male, he has not had the *job* of bearing and nurturing offspring. He simply can't fathom what a person goes through. It is seriously difficult and exhausting - and yet - women keep doing it and offspring keep surviving. Sure, we networked in the caves and shared some of the chores with the other women - but a lot of what we do doesn't look like hard work. We make it look easy because we are caring for consummate whiners. Therefore, we have ceased to whine (or keep it to a minimum). If males had to go through the childbearing and nurturing I suspect there would be some world class whining. Instead, they just see us as weak and needy and easy to dominate. Our battle to keep the young 'uns alive depleted our energy and we gave up the battle to be *equals.* Deep down, we do wield some pretty awesome power. I'll get into those powers in another post.

I also invite people who think I am completely nuts or missing some important facts to weigh in. You may do it in the comment section or shoot me an email at the jmwilson 411 -at- yahoo -dot- com with your thoughts. And do not be afraid of hurting my feelings. I've actually been honing my skills at debate and would welcome a spirited discussion.

4 comments:

  1. OK - I just read this. I do sound looney. I'm tempted to delete it - Before I do, I want to add that calling people *animals* is not meant to be a criticism. I am in awe of how animals manage to live complicated lives and survive without grocery stores and art supplies. What I am noting as *animal-like* in people is that there are a bunch of activities that seem like they are happening without *thought.* Stuff people (kids) do that is hard to explain, but if you ponder how it would be appropriate if we were still hunter-gatherers, it doesn't seem quite so *primitive." Again - primitive is not meant as a derogatory term.

    Seriously - if you are reading this - it might be time to just - click on something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - I do have to give a shout out to bower birds. They have art supplies. If you have a lot of time - just Google and surf. Here is one article.
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/not-bad-science/what-makes-bowerbirds-such-good-artists/

    I probably have to go back and read the link at the bottom: Slime Molds: Smarter than you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently discovered your blog (love it!), and I'm convinced you are my long-lost sister. I understood the "animal" thing before your explanation and had to laugh out loud over several comments. I, too, love bower birds. Have you seen the birds of paradise? Works of art that can fly.
      Thanks for your inspiration & humor.
      Deb Lundstrom

      Delete
    2. Hey, sis -- nice to meet you. Welcome to the pack of kindred spirits who check in (sometimes daily) to see what's going on. Yes -- birds of paradise are way-cool. So many birds other birds deserve mention. Amazing creatures - and just yesterday, I saw the sad article about how the bird population has been reduced (reducing) at an alarming rate.

      Thanks for leaving a comment. It is always nice to hear from people who stumble across the blog.

      Delete