Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Sept to Kerry and Sharen - Layout tips -


These two are good to compare. Kerry's two names are short/long and together - they are a bit too long to go on the same line. This is a good option for making the two fit together into a rectangular shape.

Sharen has a too long last name so I doubt I put her first and last name on one line. Sharen has six letters and that length of name is usually good for a centered layout.  The shape of Kerry's is square-ish - and that would be clunky if it was centered - so it gets sent all the way to left. I like it touching the left edge. I should have taken a photo of it before I added all the blue twigs. Everything was floating. I added that black - and then - decided to try something drastic - which was a bunch of blue twigs. It's decent. It could be better. But, I didn't have time to do a lot of planning. 

The longer first names, centered, with a fun stamp with fun details is a pretty fool proof layout. The orange marker is an alcohol marker - with just the right amount of bleeding. White gel pen flowers and blue dots are done with an acrylic paint marker.


 The tip for layouts is to have some basic ones - but keep in mind that you can't make every name fit into every layout. That's just the way it is. You can adjust your fonts and your tools - but each letter is an element - and if you have 3 or 6 or 9 - that's going to be something to pay attention to from the very beginning.

How many people do a rough - in pencil - before starting their envelope? There's no way I can get all of you to respond - but my guess is that some of you do not believe me that it is a huge help to at least rough something out in pencil to see if it's even close to what you are imagining.


No comments:

Post a Comment