Friday, September 18, 2026

Sept to Jessica. Adding a basic curve to your 3 basic strokes


I deeply regret that I did not put an orange crescent moon as the dot on the i. This was one of my favorites of the Sept envelopes. After you have mastered making an alphabet out of the 3 basic straight strokes, you can learn a couple very simple curves. 

Remember when I said - KIS and RYQ? Keep It Simple means you only need a very few strokes. RYQ means Remove Your Quirks. You are not supposed to be doing anything remotely close to you regular penmanship. Of course - the I will be a standard vertical line. But, if your regular penmanship always puts the two little horizontal strokes - one at the top and one at the bottom - rather like a serif - you simply MUST learn to question whether you need those two lines. Sometimes you do - and sometimes it will look better without. 

There is no fixed rule. It's a case-by-case situation. 

How do you start learning the curved strokes? I say, start with the S. First draw a vertical line - then make an S right next to it - and figure out what is the least amount of curve you need to make when to turn your I into an S.

Remember - letters are symbols. They have information. Remove Your Quirky way of making an S when you are just doing your regular penmanship. I guarantee your regular S is not like those two in Jessica's name. Although, I would love it if someone has a gorgeous S that they do every day. I would love for someone to send me a photo of their pretty S - and prove me wrong.

Scarlet Blue lives in England and one time she posted a comment on the Flourish Forum that she did not care for uncials so I was compelled to send her some likable uncials. Here's the post with her response.

I might find an image of what I sent to her ---
But first we have to talk about the comment that Scarlet left a few days ago. Stay tuned.
 

1 comment:

  1. That'll teach me to post comments!
    Meanwhile, I sometimes force myself to remove quirks from my copperplate, only I call it removing my ego :-)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete