I like this one a lot. Kate often gets a warm up envelope because she has a really good name. It fits on one line - but it also looks good on two lines. The chunky lettering should inspire people to try some chunky lettering. If you aren't a calligrapher - you can try ways of making basic block letters with a chunky marker. The tip of the day is KIS. Also RYQ. Keep It Simple and Remove Your Quirks.
What is the simplest way to make the letter? There are only a few strokes. A vertical - short or long. A horizontal, usually short. A slant that can go either direction - a short slant.
All the letters (except R) in Kate's name are made up of verticals, horizontals and slants. And if you wanted to make a more angular R - you could make that top *bowl* out of two slants. All the curvy letters can be made out of the three basic strokes. Vertical, horizontal and slanty.
Does anyone doubt me? Is anyone going to try to make an alphabet out of those 3 basic stokes? I'm probably the only one interested in trying the things I toss out. Maybe Scarlet Blue will make us an alphabet out of just 3 basic stokes.
Who is Scarlet Blue? Tune in tomorrow. Or if you want to take a sneak peek at her work -
I didn't say much about the arrangement of the elements on the envelope. The flowers on the stamp are so good - I matched the placement when I did mine which I like doing if it's going to work. On Kate's envelopes, I often have the address to the right to balance the way her stacked name fits on the left.
Ha ha!!! Thank you, Jean!! I barely get much time to settle down to lettering or calligraphy these days - I wish I could.
ReplyDeleteI remember the envelope I sent you years ago - it was Gothic, in pale blue and seriously wishy-washy, I apologise.
The one you sent me was of course fabulous!
Sx