Sunday, September 6, 2026

From Grace - who's to say which is better

 


Grace is skilled at both pointed nib calligraphy as well as broad edge. This is italic. It's one of the standards that a lot of people think is easy because it looks like the kind of printing that we learned in elementary school with serifs. How hard can that be. 

Don't get me started. It's one of those raging debates and I'm too old to get into it. On top of that, if I posted the work of Sheila Waters next to someone who bought a calligraphy marker and followed a rudimentary exemplar - some people would think they were *the same.* The subtle nuances are not visible to some people. To other people, they are glaring. 

I'm trying to think of something to compare it to - maybe in the world of food - we could think of something to compare - but it would be hard. I may prefer a home made chocolate chip cookie to Chips Ahoy. But, if a person grew up with only Chips Ahoy and that was their favorite cookie - they might prefer it to home made. 

The only thing I can think of where we might get close to 100% agreement would be a fish that you caught. cooked  and ate right on the shore. I can't picture anyone saying that a frozen filet or even something that had been on ice for a day or two, never frozen, was better than a shore lunch. Now I'm hungry for a shore lunch. I wonder if there are any in Chicago.

<pause> Bingo. There is a place 2.7 miles from where my grandkids live. I could walk. I'll have to find out where they source their fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment