Saturday, April 27, 2019

Jan PTEX From Suzanne (Quiltish)

The second envelope from SuzanneE is a style that's been around for a while. In fact it was one of the very first I remember seeing that lured me into the world of lettering as opposed to just calligraphy.

There were some nice books on marker lettering that included this style. I just looked on John Neal Bookseller's website and can't find them. Maybe they are out of print. Does anyone know? I do not recall the name of the author. She might have been Canadian?

9 comments:

  1. Slyvitsky? Lynne Sly-something? Is that ringing a bell with anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just in from UHMC (UberHelpful Miss Cathy)

    This may not be the original artist but the book credits Sylvia Kowal:


    It’s from Hand Lettering: Simple, Creative Styles for Cards, Scrapbooks & More by Marci Dinkey & DeAnn Singh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you thinking of Scrapbookers Alphabets by Ruth Booth from Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will email Suzanne and ask her if she has a name connected with that style.... Ruth Booth rings a bell.... but it will be interesting to see if we can get to original source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bingo - I searched Sylvia Kowal - which led me back to my own blog -- and this post
    http://pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com/2015/10/cathys-grasshoppers.html
    and that led me to
    Lynn Slevinsky
    and if you Google her - you will find the books that seem to be the oldest -- with that style of lettering.
    So -- if I have time, I will do some sleuthing and see if Lynn is still around and what she can add to the conversation about that style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. October 19, 2015 is the date for the post that I referred to in the previous comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, it is Lynn Slevinsky who wrote Marker Lettering Volumes 1-4. She can be reached through Bow Valley Calligraphy Guild.

    ReplyDelete