Thursday, October 18, 2018

Fan Letter to Alan Blackman & Response

I finally got around to sending my fan letter to Alan Blackman. This is the address on all the mail he sends to himself, so I am hoping he has not moved recently. I am writing in late July - so maybe by now this has been returned or maybe he responded.

This is an example where I did not let myself get all nervous about writing to one of my *idols.* I once sent a birthday card to Rudolph Koch and also a birthday card to Sheila Waters. I know they are just as happy to receive mail from hacks and that they appreciate the fact that we are all happy travelers on the alphabet trail.

*****

Alan did respond with a lovely letter and he enclosed a few items from his files - pictured below. His current penmanship is pretty shaky. But it is still uber-charming - and it is encouraging to see that he is still doing what he loves - even though there is something going on with his fine motor skills. It's a wonderful example of - just keep doing what you love - no matter what it looks like. I found online that he is 79 - so I should find out when his birthday is - so we can shower him with mail....as we will be doing with Sheila Waters who is turning 90 in 2019. Any of my west coast pen pals know when Alan's birthday is?


The stack of mail Alan sent to me.

Close up of one of them.

The envelope and letter sent to me - with his current penmanship.


Current penmanship - and yes - we will be stealing those Es.

1 comment: