Sunday, September 16, 2018

Off Topic Sunday - Have Potholders, Will Travel

Warning: silly fashion chatter. Skip this and scroll down for today's envelope.

A couple of you have been following my Swedish Death Cleaning adventure. I was able to discard an unfinished sweater that I had been working on for 15-20 years. It was an attempt to replace a favorite sweater. But when I sewed the pieces together - it just wasn't right so I boldly threw it in the garbage. It's the most egregious waste of a worthwhile raw material. But, it happened on a day where I simply had to start making some progress. I still have the favorite sweater and will just wear it in all its shabby glory.

I have another unfinished sweater that I started to make for my boyfriend who turned into my husband. So, it was started in 1977 or 1978. For the math phobic, that is 40 years. I have the 4 pieces finished, front, back, 2 sleeves. But the raglan shoulder seams do not line up correctly. I refuse to tear apart the sleeves and start over because they are solid cables on size 5.

At one time, I had a needlepoint project that I started when I was 8 years old. I was planning on keeping it and incorporating it into my end of life experience. But, it was so dang ugly. I'm thinking my end-of-life project will be a stack of mail. Addressed envelopes - and someone else will have to write the note that goes inside.

Back to the sweater. I went on Pinterest to get ideas for an alternative to use the pieces for something that would fit me. Oh.My.Gosh. The *alternative* sweaters are out of this world in both a good way and a bad way. Warning: if you are mesmerized by quirky knitting - you could waste a lot of time on Pinterest.

This model caught my eye. While I have not been able to find her name, she is featured in the Daniela Gregis runway shows, and you can see lots more of her by Googling that designer. In close ups, she reminds me a lot of myself. Scraggly pulled back gray hair. Wrinkles. I have never been into the rumpled, baggy, artist clothes. But this one - with the potholder necklace is very tempting.

Those of you who know me are saying, "Wait a minute. Jean, you are always rumpled and baggy." I know. But those are regular clothes - and not the ones that are supposed to be that way. Plus, I am now wearing a lot of hand-me-ups from my daughter. And I am only half as baggy as I used to be.

You can get a close up look at the model here. Also - note that in a couple shots, the models are wearing one red shoe and one blue shoe. Another tempting look to go with my potholder necklace.

https://nowfashion.com/daniela-gregis-ready-to-wear-spring-summer-2018-milan-22944

No comments:

Post a Comment