Monday, September 14, 2026

Sept to Lisa - issues with the ocean, part 1

 



I found one last envelope that is printed with a crumpled pattern. I also have a couple sheets of paper to fold into envelopes. Tomorrow I will start the Sept envelopes that I sent out. They turned out better than I was expecting since I didn't have a plan. I did have the good sense to start with the baby animal stamps that have wonderful design elements to use. This one is super easy. I just took the wave pattern that is made out of dots - or portions of dots AKA scallops. It seems like a good envelope to pair with my add-on topic.

***

I fall into that last category. I can't stand sand. Also the smell of salt water seems a little *off* to me. And I can even add something to the list. I do not like the noise. Many people love the sound of the ocean. I just want it to stop. And don't get me started on *water features* in yards. The only water sound I can stand is the very soft lapping that you sometimes hear when you are on a dock at a lake, ideally in a pine forest. 

The answer to my question regarding people who do not care for any form of water - rivers, lakes, oceans, seas - went directly to phobias:

Specific Phobias of Water
  • Thalassophobia: A persistent fear of the ocean, the sea, or deep, open water.
  • Limnophobia: A specific fear of lakes.
  • Potamophobia: A fear of rivers, streams, or running water.
  • Aquaphobia: A general fear of water itself.
Common Reasons People Dislike Water
People who do not have a clinical phobia may still dislike water for practical or sensory reasons:
  • Fear of Drowning: Worry about deep water, strong currents, or unexpected drop-offs.
  • The Unknown: Dislike of murky water where they cannot see the bottom or what is swimming beneath them.
  • Animals and Insects: Fear of sharks and jellyfish in the ocean, or biting insects like mosquitoes near lakes and rivers.
  • Sensory Dislike: Discomfort with sticky humidity, wet sand, muddy lake bottoms, or the smell of seaweed and salt.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the vastness of the orecm but don't enjoy the sandy stickyness of saltwater...plus I burn so easily. Lakes and rivers and creeks are my favorite for splashing around in.

    ReplyDelete