Thursday, July 30, 2026

June from Kate - leave a space

 


How many times do you think I looked at this before I saw that it is WISON - no L. It's a good thing Kate left out the L because it would have made the last line too long. Or perhaps she did it on purpose and intended for the IL to be a capital-I and a lower case l.

Remember when I wrote in Irene's blog post to put a pin in the technique of leaving a thin strip of white between the letters and the background? This is the one I knew was coming up. I could have jumped around and pulled this one to post with Irene's, but I am being vigilant about posting the envelopes in the random order in which they are photographed. 

In our toolbox of techniques - leaving a sliver of space or of another color is a tried and true technique used by many artists. It is one that I learned in college in painting classes. If you look at paintings that are mid-20th century and newer you will see a lot of slivers of colors. To me - it first appeared in. impressionism but there may be earlier examples. Now you see it everywhere. You do not see it in photo-realism. Perhaps this topic will pop up again - with examples.

It's a cousin to *underpainting* which is the technique where you do an entire painting in a monochrome color and then cover most of it up. It's so much better than painting on a white canvas. There are little bits and pieces of something else that peek through - but they are very subtle.

Now, I see that I have one June envelope left and tomorrow is the last day of the month. I also started the June envelopes on June 16th - so that makes a tidy half-month for the envelopes I send out -and- a half-month for the incoming envelopes. 

But there are a couple June envelopes that have not arrived. Maybe I will make the last day of each month a *catch-all* day.

No comments:

Post a Comment