Saturday, August 24, 2019

PO Display - Chris / airplane Love

I need a new PITT white marker - but they are so expensive.

Chris had the perfect name for this style. I should add a sample sheet for how to pull that flourish off of any letter at the end of a name.
It is a perfect first-timer flourish.

If you can't do a figure-8 --- you ought not to be doing any other flourishing. Or maybe a simple curl is the easiest.

Shout out to the BHB - I think that particular maneuver in an airplane is called a shondell. Am I right? And ask me where I learned that term. From Richard Black. He was my very first art teacher (Drawing 101) at Drake University. He was a single guy who decided he wanted to learn how to fly. He told us that he had learned a shondell. Why do I remember random things like that? I also remember LOTS of stuff about drawing.

2 comments:

  1. BHB here:
    I'm impressed you remembered that term. I had to look it up -- I'd heard the term but don't recall learning the maneuver by that name. Actually, after looking it up, I don't remember performing that exact maneuver at all.

    Couple things:
    - it's spelled chandelle
    - the "letter" equivalent of a chandelle would be "c" in italics. Your flourish is equivalent to the aircraft maneuver called a "lazy-8".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and for people who like to read comments and also like to hear me rant....we will rant about spelling. it would have been impossible to guess that spelling. it looks french. i know there are lots of frenchish words in english. earlier this week, in an email to the BHB - i explained something and then typed, ka-peesh. he knew what i meant and did not volunteer to find the spelling i googled italian for - do you understand.
      capisci
      BHB responded with a vague recollection of the hierarchy of languages and how close to the actual letters are the pronunciations. we think italian might be the least likely to look like it sounds. if there are any italians reading this, maybe you can explain what happened.

      24 hours until i blast off on the mission.
      you'd think i'd turn off the computer.
      you'd be wrong.

      i appropriated that line from a story that i will find someday and post on my blog called - favorite stories. not that i have even started that blog - but i think i will. something for my kids to read when i fall off my perch.

      Delete