Monday, March 11, 2024

To Tom from Jessica - USPS story




 Very nice, Jessica - my favorite part is the dot-dot-dot-dot on each section of lace - and then the 4 dots on the zip code - subtle - but repetition is one of my favorite design principles.

***
The USPS story.
It's crazy complicated - so I will leave out the why and how it happened - but there is a car title that has been mailed to my older son's PO Box in Lake Tahoe. There is a forwarding notice at the PO - to send the title to my house - which will be my son's US address - because he is living in Whistler, BC (Canada).
We've been waiting for a couple months for the title to show up - and his plates are expired - so he really needs the title to get plates in Canada.

Nobody answers the phone at the PO in Tahoe - and he knows that they must be short of workers because the PO window is only open for a couple hours per day. People can access their PO boxes - but the window is on very limited hours. There is no door-to-door delivery in Tahoe.

So, I went down to our main PO and asked what could be done - about finding a piece of mail that needed to be forwarded. The head of the clerks at our main post office told me that they were about 3 weeks behind on processing the DM mail that was to be forwarded -- but she did send an email to the Tahoe office - asking them to look for any mail with my son's name.

It was interesting to find out one more place where the USPS can get bogged down - or bottle necked. It was really nice of her to even bother with helping me. 

***
Update--  more forwarded mail has been arriving - no car title yet -- 
***
I read the USPS union newsletter - and sometime in April - I'll post what I learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment