Thursday, October 8, 2026

Sept from Juliana - sterling vs stainless - part 1

 


It's so validating when people send me dots illustrating how joyful dots are. It's hard to mess up with dots. To me, the most egregious mistake is to be sloppy and allow more than the right amount of variance. What is that amount? Well, I guess we'll just have to put a pin in that topic and hope we remember to follow up. I see that I already have a [Follow-up] label which I have not used in ages. Maybe it will become a useful feature. Juliana's script is very nice. Of course, my favorite is the itty-bitty script on the address.

***

Back on Sept 19 Scarlet added to our conversation about comparison saying:   

Well I like, and liked your uncials! You are an inspiration.

Ever since the comparison post I've been trying to think of something better than material - but it's really horses for courses, isn't it?! And everything having a place - whether you polish your silver cutlery or stick with the daily stainless steel!

I, too, had been having the topic bubble up in my thoughts. I added a comment to her comment about silverware and stainless ware because I have a *thing* against silver. I know a lot of people like it and I do own that one silver spoon that is perfect for certain things. It truly enhances the eating experience. I totally get it, if you were raised using sterling silver for every meal, it would be a sensory experience, deeply embedded into your being. But here's my *thing* against silver. If you grew up on sterling silver, who kept it polished. If there were servants polishing your silver then I have an issue. 

Oh, dear. Have I just offended a bunch of readers who grew up on sterling silver and just take it for granted. Here I am, only half way through my morning coffee and I am on a tear. I'm going to pause here and collect my thoughts and return to this topic tomorrow. 

***

Update on youngsters who want to exchange mail - there is an article in the NYTimes about the rise in pen-pal-ing. People are finding each other through TikTok - so I can put my idea on the back burner and go back to random ideas, weed control, hoard reduction and preparing for winter.

LINK to NYTimes article - that might be free if they are still offering one free article per month

1 comment:

  1. I grew up with Stainless Steel, and the Silver was only used on Christmas Day after my dad had polished it - which may have influenced my comparison, meaning proper Italic for fancy occasions.
    I am drawn to Juliana's tiny script as well - it has elegance.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete