Sunday, May 13, 2018

Obama 2012 Holiday Card - by Larissa Kabel

I needed a random image to go with my thoughts on the ZIP code. No relation - just didn't feel like digging up a random envelope.

I couldn't remember what ZIP stood for, so I looked it up and discovered this:
ZIP Codes are a system of postal codes used by the United States Postal Service since 1963. The term ZIP is an acronym for Zone Improvement Plan;[1] it was chosen to suggest that the mail travels more efficiently and quickly (zipping along) when senders use the code in the postal address. The basic format consists of five digits. An extended 'ZIP+4' code was introduced in 1983 which includes the five digits of the ZIP Code, followed by a hyphen and four additional digits that determine a more specific location.
The term ZIP Code was originally registered as a servicemark by the U.S. Postal Service, but its registration has since expired.[2]

Doesn't it seem odd that the USPS let the registration expire. Does that mean I can register it?
I don't know what I would do with it - but it just seems like a fun thing to *own.*

The image of the Obama's holiday card was drawn by someone that I actually know. It looks like a photo - but is really a painting. I have seen some of her other drawings and paintings up close, in person and the word amazing is so over used - I'm trying to think of what would be more amazing than amazing.

Someone told her about the call for entries - and she submitted a drawing - and was chosen.

Here is an article about being chosen - and then if I can find it I will add the article about her trip to the White House. Sadly, she came down with a stomach bug and barely made it to the White House and back to her hotel room. There are more details in her story - but not really necessary...we all know the frustration of trying to make it through an event when you'd rather be home in bed.

https://landlordrocknyc.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/bo-in-the-snow-and-the-white-house-christmas-card-paintings-of-jackie-kennedy/


No comments:

Post a Comment