Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Hoarding and Food Sculpture - Off Topic

I do not recall what year this was. Maybe 2008 or 2009. Doesn't look like me.
Except those jowls. :-(
I started talking about hoarding a couple days ago and I had something else to say - but I had run out of images to post. So, I looked in the stash of photos and chose this one because it might be fun to show you one of the other things I have enjoy doing.

Food sculpture. Someday I will find the pictures of a city I built for a birthday party. This photo is from the event at our local art museum where I worked with a professional cake designer and we built a replica of the art center out of food and then invited people to eat it.

The original stone building, designed by Eliel Saarinen was recreated out of Rice Krispie treats. To the right, the I.M.Pei addition was a stack of brownies covered with matzoa. It is a poured concrete building with a corrugated surface that resembles matzoa. To the left is the Richard Meier wing which is covered with big panels that look like enameled metal. My replica was a box covered with Chicklets. I think the roof might have been chocolate. It was a big hit.

If you want to compare my version to the real thing, here is a link with photos of the building.
https://www.desmoinesartcenter.org/about/architecture/

The thing about the hoarding that I wanted to add - is this. I have visited people from time to time who say, "Here is all the mail you have ever sent to me." It's really fun to see it. So, maybe some day I will go visit my mail. I'll give ample warning that I am on my way. I do have one invitation. If anyone else wants to be on the list, now would be the time to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment