Sunday, March 5, 2017

Off topic - Fraktur

Some time ago there was a post about one of my favorite jobs, creating a fraktur-esque broadside for a client. I delivered it during one of the summer months and then a couple weeks before Christmas, the client called and wondered if I could do another version in a smaller size. Luckily, I had plenty of time and it is a-l-w-a-y-s fun to do a job the second time as there are almost always things I would tweak.

So, that sent me off looking at fraktur art again and I ran across this cool piece. It is just under 8x10-inches and sold for $53,125 at Sotheby's. It warms my heart to see funky little designs on paper go for prices like that. In some ways, it's absurd. But, in other ways, I get a kick out of such humble work by anonymous artists being valued.

I do have a fraktur label, but it only shows two marker envelopes. I'll try to go back and find the other fraktur items.

If you want to read more about this piece:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/so-esmerian-n09106/lot.679.html

1 comment:

  1. Love this!, I think I'll carve a rubber stamp like the flowers!

    ReplyDelete