Friday, December 15, 2023

From Patty - Oct Skeleton - Christoph No. 2

 


Patty remembered how much I like Ed Emberley drawings. She was not happy with the spacing on the white label. I appreciate that she was following my advice to make the envelope USPS scanner friendly. I still think we should be doing that if at all possible. I assure you, Patty, it is very challenging to get the spacing right on a label. I have wasted more labels with my bad spacing that I simply can't allow to go through - so I redo it. I usually get it right the second time - which is why - if I (or anyone) wants to get a label spaced perfectly, they'll need to bite the bullet and write it once on scrap paper. I know - it's really hard to make yourself do a practice - but - it works. One thing that might make it more doable is to remember that the lettering on the practice can be really sloppy. You just need to scrawl it to get a rough idea.





Christoph Niemann's 2nd pithy statement:

Be reckless. A piece won’t be great unless you risk it being terrible. By that I mean sometimes a drawing starts out nicely, but then I’m so afraid of ruining it that I become hesitant - which inevitably ruins it.


Jean's comment: I know that many of you have opened an envelope and found a note from me saying that I know the envelope needs something else - but I was afraid to take the risk. Or sometimes I scrawl it on the back of the envelope right before I send it. Sometimes the stack of envelopes sit on my desk and I keep looking at them - pondering *one-more-thing* to make some aspect better. Will I start taking more risks? I don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment