Tuesday, December 19, 2023

From Chuck in Oct-Nov-Dec - Christoph No. 6



A while back, I pondered posting all 12 of Chuck's gnomes in Dec. As I posted the October envelope, I figured I could add Nov and Dec. Chuck always works way ahead and as soon as he gets his list, he fills in the names and mails them. On Nov 28 Chuck posted on Instagram that he was scheduled for a double by-pass. He let me know that he would not be able to do the Dec exchange. I didn't expect to get an envelope - but somehow he managed to get one done while he was in the hospital. Way to go, Chuck. I'm happy to report he is on the mend and hopefully he'll be home pretty soon. I've only been able to visit him a couple times because I've had the Martian Death Cough - which is going around. It's miserable.

Chuck and I met (nearly 30 years ago) through the calligraphy guild, but after the guild folded up - we had only been in touch through email - so it was a bummer that he had to go through his ordeal just so we could catch up in person. 



 ***

Christoph No. 6:

Trust the drawing to have its own life. I start with an idea from my head. By default this is derivative and predictable. When I start putting it on paper, it starts having its own agenda. It is only when I manage to let go of my original intentions, that something interesting begins to happen.


This one is great. It's a hard one for me to add onto. The only thing I can think of is that I know I do better when I give up on trying to force a name into a specific mold - and rethink the size and shape of the name - and let it *speak to me.* Reminder - this is where pencil roughs are your friends.

2 comments:

  1. Sending prayers for Chuck's quick recovery. I love his envelopes.
    I've also had the Martian death cough/wheeze. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete