Wednesday, December 20, 2023

From Irene in Oct - Christoph No. 7


Reminder to look at Irene's Instagram. She has posted some of the envelopes that go with the cards she has been posting - and they are lovely. I keep forgetting to ask her if she keeps track of the time she spends on her envelopes - and does she do any assembly line work.



This is an odd tip - to go with Irene - because she is turning out a ton of work that does not look like it has any clunkers. But, I think her process is on a different wavelength from Christoph and those of us who are on some kind of quest for something new and different. There are times when I flip into the mode that Irene is in - where motifs and techniques are used in a *tried-and-true* process. Note to self: go ahead and indulge in tried and true --- it's a nice place if you feel like keeping things low-key for a bit.

Christoph, by virtue of being a big name illustrator/designer - is obligated to come up with things that are original. For us - that is entirely optional.

***
Christoph No. 7

Accept that only a fraction of your work is *great.* (Whatever *great* means)


My interpretation of what he means by *great* is whether or not the person who made the work is pleased with how it turned out. If we had a way of pulling up every time I said I was unhappy with something and then a reader would leave a comment suggesting that I amend what I said - we would find several examples. We might also see that I responded by explaining that my nit-picking at details is just part of a larger process. It's not like any of us have time to work and rework each and every envelope until it gets to the level of *great* - or as I prefer to call it - *no need to fix anything.*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment