Saturday, December 2, 2023

MishMash tutorial

 



Back in September Marilyn left this comment on the Amy Fox envelope - which was a lot like this one: 

I just think this envelope is delightful & wish I had the artistic talent to replicate it!

I thought it would be fun to run a tutorial for Marilyn and anyone else who wants to write like this. It is not hard at all. The only thing you need is time. Amy's was done with wavy lines. I did this one with straight lines. At first I thought straight lines were as good as wavy - but - I think wavy is a tiny bit better. 

As you may recall, Rachael called it MishMash - so that's the name we are going to use.

Marilyn had another question: She wondered why I would want a postal vehicle. It's probably the emotional connection I have to mail. Growing up, there were weekly letters between my grandmother and mom. Sometimes I would exchange letters with my grandma. I also had an early fascination with the realization of how many people it took to get the mail where it was going and how there were actually people who were willing to walk around every city and town or drive through rural areas - to deliver mail. It made me feel like we were all connected and that connection was not like radio or TV - it was more personal. 

I knew a couple in college who purchased one of the big mail trucks - a step van. They were required to paint it so that it no longer looked like a mail truck. They painted the red stripe yellow. Then they turned it into a camper. When they were driving through campgrounds, people would come running with postcards, thinking that the truck was a mail truck. 

The LLVs just seem like a fun little vehicle. Most of the time the only driving I do is in my neighborhood - so I don't need much of a vehicle. My son drove one of them for a few months - and he said they are fun to drive. So, I'd share the vehicle with him.

Well this is way off track. I will post more tomorrow. Marilyn, if you are reading this - feel free to drop me an email so I know who you are. :-) PTEnvelopes-at-aol-dot-com - Or if you prefer to remain anonymous, that's fine with me.

Here is what we will cover tomorrow. Half the job is deciding which version of the letters to use. It's like arranging flowers - somewhat.


Here is the original envelope from Rachael that launched my whole *thing* with MishMash. You can see that most of the time - my thicks are not thick enough.






No comments:

Post a Comment