Thursday, February 8, 2024

From Irene in Dec - stain removal



I think I've mentioned several times how impressed I am with the quantity of mail that Irene produces. She takes online courses - which seems to be an endless source of inspiration. The name on the envelope is so 3D - I had to look closely - it almost seemed like a font - but it is not.

***
This will be a two part add-on. I'm still filling blog posts on Jan 29 - during my last couple days in Chicago. This has been a 2 week trip. The first week, I never even went outside. The weather was terrible and there was plenty to do at the house. There is always a stack of clothing that needs repairs or stain removal. My secret to stain removal is Dial soap. I just did a search and it did not pop up which surprises me. Dial soap is one of my best tips for saving clothes. I learned about it in college as a painting major. I only worked in acrylics, but there were other students who worked in oils. One day I managed to get a huge glob of purple oil paint smeared on a medium gray wool coat. It was a disaster. 

Someone must have told me to use the Dial soap - I do not think I would have thought of it on my own. But, by moistening the bar of soap and rubbing it directly on the oil paint, the soap dissolved the oil paint and I was able to get it all out. Since then, I have relied on Dial soap as my first attempt on any stain. 

The one caution - depending on the fabric and the dye - it's possible to create a light spot. If that happens - you probably need to get a tube of Clorox gel - and turn the garment into an art project.

I'm surprised I never tried Lava soap on fabric. I bet it would work - although the abrasive aspect might remove color or damage the fibers.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment