Saturday, February 10, 2024

From Lynne in Dec - Newberry trip - Part 1


This is a lovely shade of violet. Is that the right name for that color? Garlands are so perfect for something to do on the envelope that allows plenty of room for an easy to read address. 

OK - here's a lettering related story. I responded to someone on Flourish Forum who had questions. I also offered to do some online coaching. He took me up on the offer. His area of interest was medieval versals and uncials. I knew he lived in southern Illinois and asked if he had ever been to the Newberry. He had not - so he made a point of going and was blown away to see actual manuscript books that people are allowed to look at and turn the pages. 

Our correspondence is sporadic - but something came up in early January - and I mentioned that I was going to be in Chicago during the last two weeks. He said that he, too, had an overnight trip on his schedule and would only be busy in the morning and had an afternoon to kill before he caught his ride home. So we decided to meet up. He brought some of his work for me to see in person and I was able to do a quick review and give him some tips.

Then it was off to the Newberry. Part 2 tomorrow.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment