Monday, September 16, 2024

Aug from Carolyn - Penman mascot

 


I cropped this one from Carolyn to show that it is a good idea that would work on a variety of envelopes. It is probably going to work best with the short first names. I like the white space on the business sized envelope. You can see how it would work with a much longer last name. Of course - the dots are tried and true. 


***

It's mid afternoon on the day I was trying to do 15-20 posts. After chores and baking I did a quick check on Facebook to see if anyone is doing anything. I never post on FB - but find interesting tidbits once in a while. One of MrWilson's cousins (a first cousin, once removed - I like knowing the official terminology of cousins and the use of the word *removed* to indicate a step up or down in generations - one of those useless bits of information - but I digress) MrWilson's first cousin (the mom) posted a photo of the second cousin once removed at his college - Southern New Hampshire University - and she wrote "Go, Penmen!"

One would think that I'd have heard of a university having a penman mascot by now, but one would be mistaken. Here is the blurb on their website:

When SNHU opened its doors in 1932 as the New Hampshire School of Accounting and Commerce, we called ourselves “Penmen.” It was an homage to the accountants and clerks of Colonial New England, who bravely banded together to form a new nation. Alongside merchants, lawyers, farmers and physicians, they proved that the pen is mightier than the sword.


I could not find a good photo showing the full mascot. 


OK, this might be taking it a little too far. 
But, it was 1932 - so, it's a dated perspective.
I guess it's a metaphor and I guess *progress* has been dependent on our ability to write. 
Progress seems like a good idea - until the unintended consequences start popping up.

Maybe we should take a longer view - 
was written language a big turning point?

No comments:

Post a Comment