Sunday, October 25, 2020

Sunday bonus post - Fun food topic

 Envelope topic below this one.

Right after I scheduled the Saturday rant - I saw this article about seriously obsessed people tracking down Egyptian yeast. One of them is right here in Iowa (over in Iowa City)

Yeast article

It's heart warming to know that there are some people who have wildly exciting research going on. Hopefully, I can toggle between ranting and rant-free posts.

For the illustration we have a plague joke which the BigHelpful Brother will not like because he is the type of person who would have invented calculus if he had the opportunity. Maybe he will leave a comment and tell us what he did *invent*. I know what it was - but I probably can't describe it. It was in the dark ages of computers when they ran on paper tape and he invented a program that would punch the alphabet into the tape so that *they* could send *hard copy* messages. If he still has the one strip that I saved for a long time, maybe he can send us a photo.

Also -- a photo of my grandson eating lunch at his Montessori school. I sent my boys to a Montessori school and was so happy that I talked my daughter into sending her kids to Montessori. She had not gone, so she didn't really know much about the concept. Not all Montessori schools include all of the same teachings. My boys did not set tables with table cloths and arrange flowers. The kids do all the work of setting the tables and arranging flowers. Ben is sitting on the far side of the room with his little friend Daisy. They also sweep and mop the floors. I know the original Montessori classrooms had kids polishing shoes - but shoe polishing is probably archaic. To me, the photo is adorable - and happily, the school has been open since June with no incidents of covid in any of the staff or any of the families. That is encouraging.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've seen the Newton joke -- much beloved in the math community. And as a student of The History of the Black Plague, you will be pleased to know that it is historically correct that the plague year(s) were when he wrote his version of the calculus.

    I'll see about getting some photos of that tape -- it's on my memorabilia shelf.

    -- BHB --

    ReplyDelete