Saturday, October 24, 2020

Saturday bonus post - A food rant

 Skip this if you are only interested in envelopes and lettering - and scroll down to the daily post.

Fun image that does not relate to my topic du jour.


Here is the rant:

Cauliflower tastes like cauliflower. It does not taste like chicken or rice. You cannot turn it into boneless Buffalo chicken wings. You cannot turn it into fried rice that tastes better than take out from a restaurant. Just because there are endless recipes and claims that you can make cauliflower taste like something else does not mean that any of them are true. 

As luck would have it, I like cauliflower. The faux-chicken and faux-rice food has been edible. But it does not satisfy the taste buds that were asking for chicken or rice. 

Why are there so many people who are oblivious to the cruciferous overtones? I just don't get it. 

Of course -- anyone who thinks they actually have a faux recipe that works, feel free to send it to me and I will try it. Unless it has the exact same ingredients that I have already tried.

End of rant. 






7 comments:

  1. The same goes for Zoodles or Zucchini noodles. They are not and never will be like pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can say that again. Shredded vegetables are still vegetables.

      Delete
  2. Dear Rant, obviously you have not tasted the best imposter cauliflower substitute, Trader Joe’s fake frozen pizza crust. This product makes you believe that a white flour pizza dough can be improved. This is to say nothing about the tabouli made with cauliflower instead of the wheat (bulgur), not bad and less gas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK -- I'm excited. Duh Moines actually has a Trader Joe's. I will go on Monday -- and file a report later next week. Maybe food will be an adequate topic to distract us from our troubles.

      Thank you for the recommendation.

      Delete
    2. I will refrain from ranting about how the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are about half - or even 1/3 the size of typicaL WFs AND TJs. The trade off - is that nobody in the entire county would have to drive more than 12 minutes to get to one (or 14 minutes during rush hour).

      Delete
  3. I remember my mom making Mock Apple pie with soda crackers. I was a kid but it tasted pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing about that recipe - when I was a kid. I've never tried it -- so maybe it would be a fun one to try out on Mr Wilson.

      Delete