Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Kathleen - Red-Blue Stack


From the September exchange.
I had these stamps in mind when I did the lettering - so thought something angular would be better than a script. This one doesn't have much wow, but it's fine. Tomorrow will show what happened when I tried a script. And then the third one will be back to angular - with some checkerboarding.
The main tip I see on this one is how it's nice to let the letters touch. The UR in Durham and the NC doesn't touch. I've learned that it doesn't work to connect a C to a straight stroke. It looks like K. And I'm fine with a few places that break the rule, if you have decided to make every letter touch.
Lettering rules do not have to be hard and fast.
Do not pour liquid into a hot Pyrex dish is most definitely a hard and fast rule. Add to that...do not EVER set a hot Pyrex dish on anything that might have some moisture. Ever. I think the sound of exploding Pyrex is almost more upsetting than the mess you have to clean up.

3 comments:

  1. Anyone interested in seeing what happens when Pyrex explodes should check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuvcQrAOSk

    ReplyDelete
  2. The videos by the Slo Mo guys were really cool. It brought back to me a sad memory, though. When I was in college, a friend of mine came over to my house while all but one roommate and I were out. She got hungry and raided the refrigerator choosing the last of my food, some frozen fish sticks, to eat. After she cooked them in the oven she decided to put them back in the oven on my beautiful, depression glass platter to keep them warm while she made coleslaw. She did leave me the mess. :-o

    ReplyDelete