Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Grace's Fraktur birds


First of three that were inspired by Pennsylvania Dutch or German fraktur drawings.

In the clear-out-stacks mode, I found a stack of penciled fraktur ideas. They seemed perfect for the exchange after I used up all the pet stamps. The top bird's head is too small. I like the proportions on the bottom bird. I am drawn to fraktur designs because they are so un-trained. I loved these stamps because they have pale gray which is perfect for the addresses. Somehow, black would be too strong.

I filled in the drawing with markers that are nearly dried up. Colored pencils would have been lovely as well. Of course watercolor or gouache would be dreamy. S-o-m-e-d-a-y.

I had to rescan this one because I like the way the birds are talking. Once again, an accident was an opportunity to make it a little more fun.


1 comment: