Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Fashion card and envelope from CaroleV


CaroleV does fun, coordinated cards and envelopes. The JW has a tiny little Sophia princess. The card is pictured below. Carole sends her cards without writing her name inside - or she puts her name on a removable tag so that they can be re-sent.

This one is going to my granddaughter who is 6 and already interested in fashion. I started sewing when I was 8 and have done lots of sewing over the years. I thought it would be fun to sew some clothes for her American Girl doll. When I arrived with the dress - she liked it, but asked if I could remove the sleeves as she thought it would be better as a sleeveless dress. Wha????? And this was a year ago. What kind of 5 year old wants to restyle doll clothes? Did I honor her request? Of course I did. I agreed that it looked better.

Recently, at her house, I was mending a hole in her tights and asked if she wanted to learn how to sew. She was thrilled and did a very good job with a blunt needle so I asked her if she wanted to graduate to a sharp needle. She was thrilled and we had to find some fabric. I grabbed one of my cotton turtlenecks and she proceeded to do her practice stitching. It was avant garde to say the least. I told her I was thrilled with it and that I was going to wear it on the day I flew home. She asked me to be sure to tell her if anyone complimented me on my pretty shirt. She also showed me how to adjust my coat so that her handiwork was not too covered up. There was some crazy stitching on the turtleneck and I was going to just turn the *turtle* to the inside as soon as I got in the Uber. But, of course I forgot. I doubt anyone even noticed. Because crazy stitching is all the rage -- maybe I just looked uber-trendy.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/290693350947498402/

The link shows what Marc Jacobs was sending down the runway in 2016. I imagine he has moved on.  There are some much crazier pins on Pinterest, but I couldn't find them right now.

I noticed yesterday that Martha Stewart's magazine has an article on the trendy mending that is all the rage. You know that a trend is passe by the time Martha is sending it out to the masses. I do not buy her magazine. I look at it once in a while -for free- on the link through my library. If you want to see trendy mending - it is all over Pinterest. Just do a search for mending. And while it has been turned into a trend - it's been around for a long time. I'll refrain from giving a full report. Search sashiko and bojagi - or visible mending.

Enough off-topic.

Carole's cute card and envelope sent me off - as I avoid starting the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment