Thursday, November 22, 2018

Bonus Post - Happy Thanksgiving

There must have been other stamps on this envelope.
Remember to use glue stick when adhering old stamps to slick paper.
Today's regular post is below this one.

This November exchange envelope arrived from Faye. I am flattered that she is thankful for me. My idea for the November exchange was to do exactly this....include the message that I am thankful for my exchangers. I did a few rough ideas on notebook paper that didn't go anywhere. Maybe next year. I think it is safe to say that we are all thankful for each other.

My next idea was to pull out 50 shimmer envelopes and force myself to do a shimmer envelope to all 28 people. I was willing to throw away at least half of them. The concept of forcing myself to do 28 seemed like a good way to come up with some ideas that I really liked.

I'm not sure that I did. But, it was a fun exercise. Along the way, I discovered some old envelopes that were already addressed to people - so I ditched their shimmer envelopes and sent old ones. In the end 20 people will get shimmer envelopes. Some are complete duds - but they include apology notes - and in at least one case - I included a second apology envelope on the inside. The comment that I probably repeat too often: the whole point of the exchange is to experiment and dust cobwebs out of our brains. I am wildly excited to start my December envelopes.

When I had the envelopes ready to go I treated myself to a trip to the Beaverdale PO - and found Bruce, my new favorite postal worker at a closed window doing some other kind of work. I waited for a while - and he noticed it was me - and set his work aside and opened his window. While he does not make any comments during the canceling process - I think he secretly enjoys the variety.

I was able to part with some of the favorite vintage stamps that were in the stash. As painful as it is to send them away - I've been bolstered by the film I saw a week ago that inspired me to stop being attached to things.

On top of that, a very interesting conversation was launched on Sunday -  in person and then follow-up emails happened. They had a profound effect on energizing my determination. Here we were, two grannies, sounding like college coeds talking about how we knew we were adults, but wondering how were we going to rid ourselves of some youthful bad habits.

The best part of the conversation was when my kindred spirit sent me a link that is pretty funny. I'll share it with those of you who have nothing to do today and are surfing. To those people who are overwhelmed with *stuff* - maybe you are in recovery mode and zoned out in front of the computer, looking for an excuse to just relax and recharge your batteries after too much holiday.

Some timely advice for those of us struggling with our first world problems.

advice


1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I’m grateful every day for the fun your blog brings me first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete