Sunday, February 14, 2016

more off topic

this is way off topic, but interesting and relates to penmanship. while looking for info on donating more books to the collection at the U of Iowa, i discovered that they have a bunch of handwritten books and letters online and if you want to transcribe them you may sign on and do so. seems like a fun way to kill time if you have time to kill. sadly, i do not. but thought i would pass this along.

here is a link to a random page

http://diyhistory.lib.uiowa.edu/transcribe/1785/55566

if you click on More Information, you can see tips on how to do the transcribing.

going back to the home page where you see how many volumes they have online (Transcribe by Topic) is a very slippery slope. you have been warned.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jean. I find this fascinating. It is difficult to imagine not being able to communicate with people electronically. But it bothers me that future generations will not have the experience of handwritten letters. With cursive writing not being taught, most will not even being to read letters written in the past.
    I need to clone myself. There are too many things that I want to be doing. It boggles my mind when I hear people say there is nothing for them to do! Thank you for sharing this. Going back to this site will be going on the list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Jean! i also thank you for sharing the link.
    and i agree with Alyce - i so wish i could clone myself, or find a way to have 48-hour long days...
    have a great day!
    beatriz & garfield.the.dog

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Jean! i also thank you for sharing the link.
    and i agree with Alyce - i so wish i could clone myself, or find a way to have 48-hour long days...
    have a great day!
    beatriz & garfield.the.dog

    ReplyDelete