Thursday, September 17, 2020

From Leslie - bloody nice.


I'm using bloody the way the British use bloody. Or - the way I hear it in movies. I can't tell if it is actually swearing or just an expression. I avoid swearing on the blog - because it doesn't seem necessary to make my points. It seems that -currently- swearing is not as objectionable as it was 50 years ago. But, I digress.

This is a very fun mailing.
It's getting the stealworthy label.

****
Real time comment:
This is fun -- reading what I wrote last year and adding things I have discovered since then. 

I chose an eBook from the library: No Time to Spare by Ursula K. Le Guin. It is a book of short essays and one of them is about the dramatic increase in the use of a couple words that were formerly swear words and seldom used in everyday conversation, but are now used abundantly.
She does a perfect job of expressing my observation. When I read the writing of trained writers - it makes me wish I had time to actually take a course in writing, but as the title (No Time to Spare) confirms -- at a certain age, one has to accept that one has run out of time to do any number of things.

If you just want to pick up the book in a book store and read the one chapter - the title is:
Would You Please F***ing Stop?


No comments:

Post a Comment