Sunday, September 27, 2020

Bonus post - temporary penmanship tips

Today's regular post is right below.

Someday --- a better set of penmanship tips will appear. And they might get their own blog. In the meantime, I have a new set of eyes and ears who is working on her penmanship and I wanted to give her the full alphabet before I head out on a trip for a couple weeks.

My first set of tips are here:

Penmanship Lesson 1 

Lessons - tips -- you choose. There are all kinds of formal lessons featuring many different styles of penmanship. My *lessons* are actually tips that you can use as you study any style. My first tip is to leave off the loops, just to get a feel for the 13-14 letters that have no loops or tails. I put the letter t in with the letters without tails or loops (ascenders and descenders) because IMHO, it should only have a tiny bit of extension above the 13 short letters.

I have put together some lines with words to copy. Feel free to add any words that you like that fit into the groups.

Group one - i m n t l h u

Group two - add - k j v w y

k - I usually have a tiny loop on the second stroke, but you could eliminate the loop. I showed one in the top line without the loop. It requires a pen lift.

j - You can have an intro stroke and the tail can be straight. Or you can put a little curve at the end of the tail. You may want to drag a fine line up to the next letter creating a tiny bit of a loop, but for now, try to avoid a full loop.

y - I recommend a straight tail with no curve at the bottom - for now. If you slip, and put a loop on a y, just keep going.

Group three - add - a b d g r

a b d and g are all related and you need to find a shape that you like and make them consistent. A lot of mine have some italic influence with an almond shape. My practice gets *pointy* on the bottom because I am working on the rhythm. The goal is to make shapes that are consistent and that please your eyes. I don't get very good results trying to make copperplate ovals in everyday penmanship. For me, they do not have any natural bounce associated with speed. So - if speed is the goal - then, you might consider letting a little italic sneak in.

b - there are two ways to make the b. Once we add loops, that second one will look better. I tend to use both and choose which one depending on what letter is coming after it.

g - same suggestion as the tail on the j. Put a small curve at the end of the tail or if you want, drag up to the next letter without making a full loop.

r - I am rigid and inflexible about the r. It needs SOMETHING to distinguish it from the *humps* that make up the n and m. Lazy people don't even make a hump - they have points. I will not call out anyone in person - but they are lazy and sloppy and there is no excuse for just going up-then down- and omitting the ear or at the very least - a horizontal bit across the top. At the very least - start your upstroke and pause to make a sharp corner and then continue on across the top and curve down to finish the letter. Ideally, you will put in a proper *ear.* I often have the sweetest little loop, but it is fine, without a loop. Obviously, we will return to r options at some point. Those little pauses I talk about are not long pauses, they are part of the rhythm that you NEED.

Group four - c e o p q

o - most of my o's have a loop at the top. Let your own style flow. If you never have a loop on your o, do not add them now. If you tend to have a loop, keep it. 

q - it does not need that extra upward flick at the bottom - so it is entirely optional. 

p - I often lift the pen after I drop down with the tail - and then start the loop at the top. Do whatever feels right and gives a pleasing consistency with your other letters.

e - if you thought I went overboard on the r -- welcome to the e-tantrum. I wrote an example of a typical e - which is just a loop. It was painful to make myself do that. I pause on every single e to make a proper loop. If you are not willing to do that, you might as well just pack it in right now. Or - perhaps you want to send me a sample of something beautiful with simple loops that are open and legible. I know it is possible. I've seen Spencerian samples that are lovely. But, it is super tricky - and I have yet to find a beginner who can make simple loop e's. It does not take a ridiculous amount of time to do a proper loop and eventually, it becomes the *norm.* 

Here is the one case where a simple loop works -- when there is no slant. Some day I will post a sample. In the meantime, if you write without any slant, just make simple loops - and they will be lovely. It is the slant that complicates the e. If your slant is minimal, you might get away with the simple loop - but it is going to hinge on the consistency of maintaining an actual loop. The more you slant, the harder it is to create a loop in one continuous motion.

Group five - f x s z

f - there are several variations. Pick one that works for you. Try to avoid a loop on both the top and the bottom for now. Eventually, you can do both. 

x - tricky to get the first slanted stroke at the right angle. Because the x occurs so rarely it is hard to get a good one as quickly as you need it. I generally just slow down when I get to an x

z - there are a few options - another tricky letter that doesn't show up very often

So ----

please refrain from zipping through all five groups. You are not ready. It's like going from the bunny hill to the double diamond runs on your first day of skiing. Having said that, I know half of you will have no self control and you will do all the lines on the page. Happily, this obstinance will not cause any broken legs. So, go ahead, be a rebel. Don't listen to me. I appreciate your enthusiasm.

If you are truly committed to creating pretty everyday penmanship - you need to put in the 20 minutes every day. Maybe it will work for you to work on all the letters at the same time. But, you better be figuring out your rhythm. If you have not grasped the importance of rhythm, then you are not a candidate for pretty penmanship. You're like those people out on the dance floor with no rhythm. They are not hurting anyone and I am not criticizing. It's better to dive in and have fun without worrying what you look like. The only danger is that someone will video tape you and post you on YouTube and it will go viral. But, if you seriously want to have pretty penmanship, you have to figure out the rhythm. I'm not the only person who feels this way. Master calligrapher Sheila Waters has it on her list of essentials that she had been teaching for decades - as do all the other people I studied with.

Happy penning.

P.S.

I will add some quickly scrawled variations of my penmanship so you can see how much fun you can have after you spend enough time on the boring practice.



Here are the words if they are too hard to see in the photo:
Group 2 - k j v w y
kilt kiln junky jilt inky wink vinyl twinkly
thinly milky unity linty win vim hymn whim wilt

Group 3 - a b d g r
adult audit birth blurb bright dirt drag guitar 
girl grab raid rug brutal halibut alright

Group 4 - c e o p q
ache cape cute echo oath ouch pace pouch
quiet quick quip poach opaque teacup utopia

Group 5 - f x x z
foxy system dozen wizards zany exit oxen
fixture fizzy flex exams axiom maze sleazy





1 comment:

  1. My is this comprehensive. Thank you, Ms. Jean. Excited to get started. Now to pick a date/time!

    ReplyDelete