Saturday, September 19, 2020

Bonus post - giant ball of stamps


Atlas Obscura has been mentioned several times as a source of interesting oddities. You can sign up for a weekly email from them which I enjoy. While I may not be interested in what they send, it does remind me that I can wander around and find other items. Today, I chose to start at their link to oddities in Des Moines to see if there were any that were new to me. Only one, a Bonnie and Clyde campsite only 30 minutes from my house. 

As the list of Iowa oddities dwindled, they started offering things from bordering states and Oh.My.Gosh. this giant ball of stamps (world's largest) - and the strangest part of all - nobody has added to it since 1955. They only started it in 1953. Bizarre. Why would anyone stop?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/world-s-largest-ball-of-stamps  for the full story.

Unrelated tidbit: Iowa has managed to take only 4 letters and create a 3 syllable word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment