Thursday, January 24, 2019

Final Chapter - Pen and Marker Storage (Bonus Post)

Today's regular post is right below.

A question came in on Monday about why Sharpies are the only markers that should be stored point down. There is a short answer in the comment section, but the question deserves a longer answer. 

Those of us who have been around forever tend to have opinions and dish them with authority. I recall reading that the double ended markers are best stored horizontally so that all the ink does not run to one end - which is what would happen if they were stored vertically. When I got my sets of 48, they came in a nifty partitioned case that held them horizontally. Looking for this image has made me long for a new set. I never enjoyed sliding them in and out of the case. So, it would be nice to buy the set without the case - hopefully it would cost a bit less.

Recently, I read something from Sharpie that said, store Sharpies point down - which was new to me. I felt like I had read that horizontal storage was better in general. So the question from a reader nudged me into asking the AllPowerfulGoogle - and the various hits were:
-vertical
-horizontal
-it doesn't matter

This proves once again - you can find anything you want on the APG.
The Copic website recommended horizontal.
I did not have time to research all the different brands - 
and I concluded my short answer on the blog with:
I like my tools in trays as it is easier to find what I am looking for.
Mugs are the most popular way to store tools, but I find it very difficult to find things in mugs.
Colored pencils are the exception. 
There is enough of each color that you can spot the one you want pretty easily.
But, if I did a lot of colored pencil work, I would have them in trays (lids)
and in rainbow order.
I can't stand a jumble of colors.
When I want pink, I want all of them to be next to each other - to spot the one I want.

So my *store them flat* rule is more about personal preference than actual recommendations from the companies.
I'll try to be more careful about dishing rules for life. I do not want to be that kind of old person. 
However - the topic of being creative -means- being messy has been around for along time
and while I was never the messiest artist - I have found a lot of value in being more organized.

The Kon-Mari Rant

There is a fair amount of criticism for people who are compulsive about being organized.
Heaven knows, I was not overly organized in my early years. 
My parents were - and they hardly ever had to go on a mission to find hiding items.
I remember one time the BigFriendlyBrother and I were at their house - and they were not there.
They moved several times and this was not a house we had ever lived in.
We needed something - and said "Gee, where do you suppose that would be?"
We pondered.... where had that item been in the house where we grew up - 
and bingo - there it was.

I was not that way as I was hatching and domesticating my offspring.
But, I kept a general idea of where things were.
My family marvels at me. They can call long distance - and I can talk them through a sequence to find things.

I am not kidding - this is exactly what I said - last year when I was out of town
and my younger son had to write a check to pay taxes - because Mr. Wilson had used up the 4 eFiles that you get with TurboTax.
Hunter had misplaced his checkbook - and he thought to call me and ask if perhaps he had left any checks at our house. (Note to self: find out if he has found his checkbook at his current house - as April 15th is right around the corner. Note to readers - if you knew Hunter you would appreciate why I am not more drill-sergeant and tough-love with him.)

My end of the conversation went like this:
go to the shelves at the end of the kitchen
look on the far right of the really skinny shelf
ok, now try the cabinet to the right and look on the top shelf
ok, now go to the laundry room
face the drawers - no the wooden drawers
look up at the two wire shelves
look at the top shelf
look over to the right
see the plastic container
look just to the left
see the blue book/box thing
yes, I know I am brilliant
what?
how much?

this was one of those boxes that looks like a book, but it has a lock on it
he had it in college
when he opened it - there was a stack of cash
there was also a blank book of checks
even I did not know it was there - but it was a good guess
of course - everyone is happy to find cash they had forgotten about
I wish I could remember how much it was - in his serving and earning tip days - he would sometimes have an alarming amount of cash in a neat stack - 

Sadly - my ability to find stuff only encourages them to be less interested in remembering where things are.
I am currently working on an inventory system so that I can leave them a logbook when I go to that 
big scriptorium in the sky.
I might have to tuck some poignant notes in amongst the flotsam and jetsam.
Like the lady in Bridges of Madison County who left the ridiculous story for her kids.
Avenues of Polk County.
No affairs with National Geographic photographers in my book.
But, I do have a story about the Iowa State Fair (which was mentioned in the book) that is one of my all time favorites Wilson Family Stories.
Oh.My.Gosh.
It involves me knowing where the car was in a huge lot at the Iowa State Fair....
What kind of people don't pay attention to where they parked the car when there is a toddler in tow.
This is a two parter.
I'll work on it....

1 comment:

  1. Oh. good grief. I did not notice that there was already a bonus post today.
    Sorry.

    ReplyDelete