Saturday, January 26, 2019

Studio Tour - Bonus post - Regular post below


Because more than 2 people sent emails commenting on how my marker storage post gives the impression that I am sooo tidy, I am going to share a real world peek into the stuio. This is the mess I left last night after a day of working on a total of three wildly different jobs -plus- I rewarded myself by taking time to get back into shooting videos which may lead to tutorials. Wow. I have my own YouTube channel.

Plus, if I ever have to move - I will be happy to have a visual reminder of this faux-studio. I'm sad that I have only a couple photos of my actual dream studio from the good old days.

Overview - and shout out to the person who suggested that I commandeer a spare bedroom. This is it. A whopping 10 ft x 8 ft. 80 square feet. the dream studio was 1500 square feet. What is that - 5% of what I used to have.

That is a twin bed to the right. There is a three foot space down the middle. and a three foot space along the wall (to the left) with the tabouret just barely peeking in behind the doorway. I am my 6-drawer unit of markers and pens a tabouret. And now I am crazy-disturbed. Whatever happened to my official tabouret. I had a really nice one. Dang. This is going to really bother me.


The tabouret in the middle of the 3 foot path to the closet.

It's handy to roll the tabouret over to the desk.

The tabouret will fit in the closet if I need space for visitors. I can fit chairs for one or two people in that space.  More people could join us if they want to pile on the bed, but that has never happened and the thought alarms me.

To the right of the desk are two filing cabinets, a printer/scanner and the official tub of files that are current jobs. Right now, there is a stack of envelopes waiting for the list to arrive. All of my stamps are in the smaller top drawer on the left cabinet.
That is one crazy messy desk. I keep the cutting board on the desk and my actual work space is not much larger than a sheet of paper. It's crazy to have such a small work space - but I have adjusted to the situation and it should inspire anyone who thinks they need more space to realize that you can adapt to just about anything. I put that bridge on the desk out of desperation to get the computer up and off the work space. It was a leftover from another desk. Then I added a shelf across the top of the bridge to make room for that large TV that I inherited from my mom. I figured it would be fun to have a TV in my studio. It's pretty luxurious to just flop onto the bed and turn on Netflix when I am too lazy to drag myself to another room. It is sort of a Rube Goldberg desk. Speaking of Rube Goldberg's senile aunt, is anyone wondering why there is a bottle of mustard sitting on top of an iPhone?


This is my setup for making videos. Before I added that shelf, and had just the bridge, I did not have that mini-ledge to contend with. The mini-ledge is now my OCD place for storing only those tools that have earned the privilege of living on the desk full time and are not confined to lids or drawers. Prior to the "pencil tray" I could just place the iPhone on the edge of the bridge - with the lens hanging over the edge -  and it would stay there. Yesterday was my first time making videos since the additions of the pencil tray and I had to find a weight to hold the iPhone on the pencil tray/ledge. Rummage through the kitchen. Find mustard. Note-to-self: we do not eat that much mustard. Replace it with something smaller. Mr. Wilson must have purchased that bottle. All kinds of strange things are showing up now that he is semi-retired and learned where the grocery store is. There will be a new blog with the weekly story of what shows up. BigHelpfulBrother (or any other reader) may offer me other ideas for an aesthetically pleasing weight. A brick would be too heavy. Maybe a can of Spam. It can't be round. Maybe a tin of pennies. There will be a prize for the best idea.  Don't get excited. The prize will be an envelope.

A detail to show what a slob I can be. Those crumbs of dried ink that fell off when I opened the ink should have been cleaned up right away. They were the first job of the day and are right next to the actual writing zone. Only an idiot would leave them there all day. And now it is the next day and they are still there. How many people have spotted the bottle of Windex that is always within reaching distance. Honestly. I am embarrassed.  Embarrassed about the ink flakes. Not embarrassed about the Windex. 
Just more clutter.
Right behind this cup of colored pencils is that pile of ink flakes. The end of the desk has other important stuff that I can reach without getting out of my chair. There is something to be said for this step-saver studio. 
There is my best friend. I must be related to the dad in the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
On days that I actually work, the bed looks like this. Sometimes there are stacks on the floor. The floor is a storage unit - a very short one. Noticing the lids, I looked around to see how many lids were out at one time.

Five or six lids today. That is probably an average amount.


A Taco John bag that I might send to Eric in France. I am so excited about the black item. I've struggled with having a pocket sized purse and finally took a piece of leather and folded it in half and stitched the ends on the machine. It is beyond perfect. I can't begin to tell you how much it has enhanced my life. Previously I used a broccoli band and that was a disaster. All I need are a few cards and some cash.
This is a bit out of order - it's the space where visitors may be seated. I have to bring chairs from other rooms. Those two prints belong to Skip. The white part is a reflection from the window. He bought them in high school and since this was his room, I painted it to match the top print. The name of the color is Saffron. I was never a big fan of orange - but I must say - this room has been one of my favorites and I learned to love orange. It was the only color that was on my don't-care-for list. I feel so much better that I am now fond of all colors. Although - a lot of it depends on what is next to them. You can poison a color by surrounding it with an enemy-color. Although ---you can force them to be friends if you introduce the right third-party. But, that is another topic. I'm curious if there are any two colors that could never, ever, ever, work together - even with a correct third-party. 
At the head of the bed is a drawing done by Hunter in elementary school. I cut it out and put it on the neutral background. It is a favorite because the assignment was to fill the turkey with the letters in your name. I am assuming that was assigned. I should ask him. Maybe it was his own idea. I doubt it. But if it was - he just knocked my socks off.


At the end of the tour, I realized I had not includes a photo of the south wall and it would give another perspective on how tiny my space is. The mirror helps to visually expand the room. It would have been cool to have it cover the entire wall - but not practical or even safe considering I had it installed while the kids were still young enough that they were throwing things from time to time - and one kid had heaved a cast iron gumball machine at the door to that room. Technically, he was heaving it at his sister, but she had the presence of mind to close the door when she saw it coming. And - yes, we took that incident seriously and yes, they do have anger management lessons for little boys. Although they call it poor impulse control. Anyhow, I stayed in the closet while taking the picture because it is still pre-hair combing today. I won't look any different after I comb my hair - but I'm shy today. I'm pretty excited about doing my whole life's story to leave for my kids. It cracks me up that none of them are even aware that I talk about them. It's probably best that they are off doing their own thing.  At some point, there will be another post of the studio when it is tidy. Although, that sounds really boring.




8 comments:

  1. ummm, that IS tidy! You should see MY art room -- such a mess, as I spread out so bad -- there are papers all over the floor (probably b/c I have a ton of projects going on at once, and I have an acrylic painting area in one corner). Organizing it is such an ongoing process. (If anything ever happened to me, I feel so bad for my hubby and sons who'd have to clear it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way with keeping my cutting board on my desk and only having a small space to work! (especially when I have a nice art desk underneath all my ink, pens, papers, etc. AND I have a nice long folding table to my left! (again, piled with papers, envelopes and current projects I'm working on.) aaaauuughhh... help! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this topic and think it will be helpful to continue the conversation. Rather than putting it here where people will miss it - I will have some additional posts with tips I've learned over the years about the variety of choices we all have. Thanks for the comments so far - and additional comments are most welcome.

    Feel free to offer tips about your own experiences. I'll re-post comments in actual posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could add a new section for organizational tips!? This post actually inspired me to try and clear out my art room (AGAIN! -- It's already been through a few rounds
      of massive declutterings!) So that's what I've been doing all weekend. Feels so good. I'm still bad about spreading out...My huge dilemma is paper storage. I have probably a good 12" stack of about 12x20 inch sheets in my closet (on shelves -- half of that is from my childhood carried-over!); Letter size and smaller sheets in folders in a file bin and letter stacker-thing on my floor...ugh.

      Delete
  4. Jean, besides calligraphy, I also sew, and a few years ago I made myself a set of pattern weights. They're basically rice-filled beanbags with the added weight of a large metal washer in them. I tested with my phone just now--an Android with a serious protective case--and they will hold it steady if 2.5 inches of the phone is in contact with the surface (the rest jutting over). Of course, if more weight was necessary I could just add another washer. I emailed you pictures since I can't include them here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are prone to leg cramps, you might want to keep the mustard bottle handy. Did you know that you can squirt a spoonful in your mouth to cure them? That's why I keep a mustard bottle beside my bed. Dill pickle juice also works, but who wants to get up in the middle of the night to hop to the fridge. Here's another valuable tip: open your ink over a coffee filter to catch the cracklings. And before I sign off, a story about my little brother's anger issues. My sister and I were always picking on him. Once when we had pushed his buttons too many times, he was coming at us with a hatchet, so we jumped in the car and locked him out. He used that hatchet to break the window. He's 72 now and seems to have settled down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips and the great story.
      I laughed out loud.

      Delete