Sunday, August 30, 2026

Liz to Irene - Liz's tips - No. 2 - work

 


Here is another one from Liz that she sent during our exchange that inspired this series. I wonder if the USPS scanner could read this. I think I'm going to try some ideas for scannable addresses that still allows for this much artwork on the envelope. The colors go well with the stamp.

***

We've decided on the path of talking about work. Everyone has heard the expression "a work of art." It's my opinion that making art is work. You have to think about what you are doing. You can choose to not think about it. You can take a pencil or marker and "mindlessly" or "without-thought" maneuver the pencil around on the paper without thinking - or without thinking as well as with your eyes closed.

Google *drawing without thinking* and there are all kinds of websites and YouTube videos. It would be great fun to take a side trip, but I don't have time. Feel free to explore and send us a full report from the field.

Most people remember an art class in high school (if they took art) where everyone drew a shoe without looking at their paper. It's a fun exercise - where you just focus on the shoe and let your hand follow instructions from your brain and then after you have drawn the outline and some details - you look at it - and it usually resembles a shoe - but it's not a very accurate rendering.

If you want to learn how to actually render something with accuracy, it's not really hard. There are several systems for learning how to draw accurately. A few people are gifted with the spontaneous  ability to draw what they see without ever working at it or taking classes. Some of those people are autistic. Some aren't. But most of us have to put in the work at learning how to draw.

If you think it's too hard and you don't even want to try, I won't argue with you. If I had you in my class, I'm pretty sure I could change your mind. We'll stick a pin in this and maybe come back to it.

I learned how to draw accurate outlines but I was never interested in shading so that is a huge gap in my body of knowledge. "Shading" is not in my tool box - unless you want to count those drop shadows on lettering. 

Have I convinced you that art is work? Or do you think for some people it's just a romp in the park? Let's talk about those people tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment