Monday, August 3, 2026

July to Mary - wool skirts and quilts

 


I went completely rogue on this one and broke my own rule about being scanner friendly. There is no excuse for it. Perhaps I had my last fling with non-conformity on envelopes because it looks like I have used up nearly every orphan stamp that is not a Forever. That's been a goal for quite some time. The very last ones will pop up at the end of my July envelopes. I decided to use up my gray envelopes with the gorgeous USPS stamps that I have been saving. I love them - but did not come up with any good ideas for how to use them. 

My first idea was to get out some white watercolor and my wedge brush because Maggie, Lynne and Irene do beautiful flowers. Mine are so pitiful I would rather not post them but that's now how this works. We just putter at our desks and it all gets posted. A few things slip through the cracks, but that's an organizational issue.

***
I wonder if Mary has any fond memories of wool skirts. Even though I have an enduring bitterness towards the dress code that did not allow girls to wear pants to school in the 50s and 60s in Minnesota - I have fond memories of my wool skirts. Here is an exhibit of 632 vintage wool skirts.



The original collector was the grandmother of the person who currently has the collection. Both are from Minnesota. I didn't spend a lot of time researching - it seems like there is a reference to cutting up the skirts and making rugs. That's a great idea. I've also seen wool cut into squares and made into wool quilts. You do not need batting - just two layers of wool.  



Not the colors I would choose - but you get the idea.



Slightly better colors. I like the red but I'd do the red in squares or diagonals.




No comments:

Post a Comment