Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Aug to Jessica and Jeanette - Mimi


These two were returned to me. They had stickers with bar codes and I had used a return address label on the back. I didn't follow my own advice and put the sticker on the short edge of the envelope so that the orientation was vertical so that the scanner wouldn't pick it up. Let this be a warning to all of us that we really have to work at making our envelopes scanner friendly.

The style of lettering is the one from Rolly. I used two different types of white gel pen. I like the detail provided by the finer pen on Jessica's. But I prefer the whiter white on Jeannette's. 



***


It is so much fun when my pen pals send me things like this. It's from Mimi who has an impressive career in the special collection world. It is a 15th century book and the rubricator is complaining about their fingers being tired. Now that I look closely - that looks like a book that is typeset. And the first typeset books were from the 15th century - 1455 is the date most often associated with the Gutenberg bible.

I wonder if they only printed in black, leaving space for the red - and then all the red had to be done by hand. Note to self...ask Mimi if that's how it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment