Thursday, April 25, 2024

MAR to Janet and Susan - Troy's March letter


This one is a tiny bit better than the others that appeared on these envelopes. A looser interpretation is often a more successful direction. It is hard to part with the abstract expressionist stamps - but we're mustering every bit of *whatever* to do it.

I feel like I already posted this one and discussed how ho-hum it is - so, apologies if I am making you look at it again. 


***
Troy's envelopes for March included this fun letter. I didn't ask for permission to post - assuming he sent it to 5 of us - I know that at least 4 others have a copy and any of the 20+ would have gotten it - and we want to make the non-exchangers feel included in the chuckles. Cult-leader Jean has added her comments in green. 

March 16, 2024

Dear Fellow PTEX Cult Members. LOL

Unfortunately, you will get your envelopes after St. Patrick's Day. You will likely receive this after St. Joseph's Day. So, that of which I write will be in the past.

I'm here in my office working away (allegedly). (1) This weekend we have a couple of interesting festivities. 

First there is St. Patrick's Day and the corresponding parade. Of course, there will be beads. Whatever the occasion, there are always beads in this town. Beads hang from power lines, trees, bushes, whatever else for months after a parade. After Fat Tuesday, there are trees covered with them as if it snowed beads.

There's a source to the bead thing.....but, I don't recall it at the moment and I am running out of time before someone catches me allegedly not working.  (2) Then I would have to explain PTEX and how do you do that to a normal person? (3) So, I'll just type faster and get through this....

So....in addition to the beads, there will be cabbages. That is one of the features of the St. Patrick's Day Parades (yes, plural).

Second, there is the St. Joseph's Day Parade (I think there is only one). All around the city in various places there are elaborate altars with food.

There is a large Sicilian population in New Orleans. My short version of the origin of the significance of the day is: Drought in Sicily, prayers to St. Joseph, rain, let's have a parade.

There is also the St. Joseph's Day pasta. It has breadcrumbs to be like sawdust since he was a carpenter. I'm not sure if he had a saw, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story. (4)

Please don't ask if there will be beads.......you should know the answer by now.

Thank you, Troy, I have 4 topics to research and add to the next 4 days of posts. I might have to add a 5th post if I find out what it is about New Orleans that cultivated the party culture. Although, it probably doesn't matter - on any bell curve - someone has to be at the far end of the curve. I'll keep using the term bell curve even though everyone is calling it a spectrum these days.

Non-exchangers are welcome to join the cult.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment