Sunday, April 14, 2024

FEB from Kate - Kate and I


When this arrived - I was struck by how much it resembled the envelope that I chosen as my own inspiration that I intended to use for some of my Feb envelopes. I did not end up doing that - but, since I had saved the image to my downloads - I could at least pull it out and add it to this post for fun.

 The inspiration envelope is from a couple (or 3) years ago when Sam found us and exchanged. Sadly, she passed away - but if anyone is new to the blog and you have not seen Sam's envelopes - put her name into the search box - there's some really good stuff. Search both Sam and Samantha.


Grammar - what was I going to say about grammar?

I loved grammar but was woefully inept at spelling and I still am. The grammar *rule* that I thought was one of the iron-clad ones was. Putting the other name first. It was ALWAYS:

Kate and I are going to eat lunch. NEVER: Me and Kate are going to eat lunch.

During the years my kids were growing up ( 80s and 90s ) - I noticed that sooooo many kids would use *me and Kate....* and it drove me crazy. I'd ask other parents if it bothered them - and they all noticed it - but it didn't bother them as much as it bothered me.

Little by little - it has taken over -- and it seems like it's perfectly fine to say *me and Kate....*

I don't know how to word the question to Google about how this change occurred - so if any of you know how it happened or can find out, please send me a link. It still sounds so weird to me.

Tomorrow we will return to the search for the noun and the adjective.....as if we can even remember what we were looking for.

***
7 am CST - and alert reader Scarlet from the UK has left a link for us - in the comments - that explains it has nothing to do with grammar - it's all about being polite. Thank you -- I am currently working on early June posts - so we will return to this topic on June 10. Thank you Scarlet.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Jean - try this link for the grammar issue:-
    https://www.impartinggrace.com/2011/09/english-teacher_22.html
    Sx
    Or click HERE!

    ReplyDelete