Saturday, May 9, 2020

From Kate


KateR

 It is April 1, 2020 - I am lining up a bunch of posts - but not in the mood to write the blurbs. Plus, we are in the thick of the pandemic and every day things change. So, if things settle down, I might be able to replace this with some fun words. Otherwise -- just enjoy the envelope(s) of the day.

May 2 - I have three more to fix -- and I am back into -- I just love this.

I do not want to lapse into personal stories. Except maybe this one relates a little bit. The only reason this blog exists is because of Cheryl Adams. She was teaching calligraphy in the early 90s when I first stumbled into the arena. We had maybe 4 or 5 years of contact where I took classes from her in pretty much every style there is. And when she decided to fold up her studio and home school her 4  kids, I was the one to pick up the teaching and the wedding addressing and other callig-jobs. Our paths really didn't cross much for 20 years.

Then -- right before the pandemic, a mutual friend got the 3 of us together for coffee and we brought stuff for show and tell. I brought my wedding mailings, since I figured Cheryl's daughter might be of marriageable age. And sure enough, about a month later, Cheryl emails and asks to borrow my stack of wedding mailings to show her daughter. I gave them a whole list of tips on wedding stuff. But, I forgot to ask when the wedding was. I assumed it was a 2021 wedding since it is rare for people to marry within 6 months of an engagement.

When I found out that it is an early Aug wedding, my eyes popped out of my head and I had to amend all of my suggestions. The reality of getting invitations printed and mailed for an Aug wedding was not on their radar. So they got a Jean-wake-up-call. And Cheryl thanked me. Here is the part of the story I liked.

All along, I had been talking about the options for lining the envelope. And then Cheryl asks me why exactly the envelope needed to be lined. Now keep in mind, Cheryl was a full blown lettering artist and paper aficionado --- 20 years ago. After her daughter, she had 3 boys -- so you can imagine how atrophied her paper and ink addiction has become.

I do not recall what I said to her about the lining of the envelopes. She laughed and she said her daughter got a kick out of it. And the exact words don't matter -- I'm sure my face said it all. The shock and horror of an unlined envelope.

OK - for those of you who do not  have the addiction - I know this sounds nuts. I'm fine with unlined envelopes. But, that's my story for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment