Wednesday, May 6, 2020

From Smash and Marie



I had some confusion sending the lists yesterday.
Some were sent early and others quite late in the day.
You might have gotten two emails.
If you did not get your list, let me know.

Sue Mashman - lovely little printing on navy - above - and gorgeous letterspacing.

 It is April 1, 2020 - I am lining up a bunch of posts - but not in the mood to write the blurbs. Plus, we are in the thick of the pandemic and every day things change. So, if things settle down, I might be able to replace this with some fun words. Otherwise -- just enjoy the envelope(s) of the day.

On May 5th - I am deleting drivel from early May and giving the Sam-fans a link to see some more envelopes. Right after she joined my exchange, she joined the International Union of Mail Artist (IUOMA). It's a fun group and she enjoyed exchanging with them. I was thinking that someone needed to post the news about Sam to IUOMA - and Finnbadger had the same idea. Thank you, Finn, for reaching out to our colleagues. There are some really fun envelopes that people have posted. 

Sam-IUOMA

I like the one comment where someone thinks Sam's penmanship looks like printing. Sam and I had several discussions about penmanship. For anyone who loves perfect printing - it is just like everything else in life. You might be gifted or you might have to SLOW DOWN and work on it. Get some graph paper. Google *architectural writing* - there are so many gorgeous styles of printing. And use guidelines. There is something magical about having two lines to contain most of your strokes. A few will want to pop out just a bit.

Below is Marie's - it's a perfect example of how you can play around with the letters. Maybe she had an exemplar - or maybe she was just experimenting. That style of S is one of my favorite ways to manage the S-problem. The S does not really fit in with any of the other letters. It's not round or square or diagonal. It's all three at the same time. I love that lower case a.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for including the link to the IUOMA post about Sam. I'm not there as much as in the past, however it looks like Sam was active with mail art and emails right up until she passed away, so I thought it would be a good idea to let people know. From the lovely responses so far, Sam had quite the following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes -- the messages from other penpals illustrate how art can build connections - and balance out some of the difficulties we face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute. Thanks so much for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete